Last Fall it took over 3 months to get the Hull to bare metal for a complete inspection. This was a major project, but really needed to be done in order to inspect the hull and get qualified for insurance for cruising.
|Kevin filling the pot with Black Oxide.|
The whole boat was tented to maintain
the dust and grit.
|Just a little dust!|
|April in her gear, ready|
|Kevin in tight places and confined to a tent even when|
the temperatures soared to 85 degrees.
|Finally the last side|
to paint working under
lights at night.
|April "clean-up" Crew|
recycling the Black
I was the "go for" at hand. I took weekly 1-1/2 hr. trips to Tractor Supply (the best price) to load up my 9 year old, 160,000+ miles Avant Audi, with as many bags of black oxide it could carry. I ran for face masks, ball valves, Gatorade, gloves, buckets, lunch to keep the equipment & my captain happy. After a few runs for cans of spray primer i eventually negotiated a better price on a case with ACE hardware. Thank goodness for Harbor Freight and Tool as a source for inexpensive supplies, too. And my discount at West marine came in handy when we decided to use paper dust proof suits and 3M breathing masks. Those suits cost almost $4, my price was a $1.50. At that price it was cheaper than buying clothing or a work suit that had to be washed everyday.
|Susana with her brand new hull, ready for barrier paint|
in the Spring.